Sunday, January 29, 2012

Top Trainers Workout DVD Set

I have a hard time prioritizing workout time for myself.  There just never seems to be enough hours in the day.  I have an elliptical machine, but that gets boring after awhile.  I've tried working out to tv shows, but the commercials are annoying.  I've tried checking out workout dvds from the library, but haven't liked any of them, and they all seem dated.  And forget joining a gym, because that adds commuting time on top of workout time, not to mention the $$$.  So what's a gal to do?

Last summer I was introduced to Top Trainers, a set of 10 workout dvds from top fitness trainers in different disciplines.  The program uses the "blend method" offering workouts from multiple fitness disciplines.  I LOVE IT!  Here's a list of the dvds and their descriptions, with my comments following in blue:
  • Lindsay Brin's Shed Five Fast:  Two different 30 minute workouts of total body and balance toning exercises with bursts of cardio.  Great when you want to fit in a quick workout and hit all the major muscle groups.
  • Ellen Barrett's Yogini (45 minutes):  Classic yoga poses intensified with Pilates and body-sculpting techniques.  I love the way I feel after doing yoga, and this is a nice workout.
  • Angie Miller's Core and Strength Fusion (70 minutes):  Fresh, creative and fun total body workout.  This one is okay; I wouldn't say it's my favorite, but I can't give a good reason why.  Maybe it's the length - I like 60 minutes or less.
  • Jennifer Galardi's Ballet Body (64 minutes):  Five mini workouts blending exercises from classic ballet, Pilates and yoga to deliver a workout that elongates and strengthens your entire body.  I LOVE this one.  It really targets and strengthens hip muscles (a big area of weakness for me).  I appreciate that she doesn't do tons of repetitions over and over -- it's a variety of exercises that accomplish the same thing.  I always feel like I'm walking taller and straighter after this one.
  • Tracey Mallet's Six Minute Quick Blast Method (27 minutes): A total body calorie blast that fuses cardio with deep toning techniques to lengthen and strenghen your entire body.  Targets the core for a flat, lean belly and healthy back.  I like quickness of these videos:  6 minutes for cardio, mind/body, and abs.  You don't get tired of one thing before it's time to move to the next.
  • Michelle Dozois' Your Best Body Circuit (58 minutes):  A complete weight and fat loss system which utilizes a powerful combination of fun and easy to follow cardio intervals and metabolism boosting exercises.  Nice mix; perfect length for me.
  • Ilaria Montagnani's PowerStrike 5 (52 minutes): An intense kickboxing workout filled with energy packed, exciting new drills and challenging choreographed routines.  I haven't tried this one.  I had my hip replaced a few years ago, and this one just didn't sit well with me & my titanium hip.
  • Christi Taylor's Mission: Possible (56 minutes):  Step and multi-impact workout for all exercise levels.  Burn calories and increase flexibility.  I used to do step class all the time when it first came out, and I still have my step, luckily.  I LOVE this workout, which mixes step with floor exercises. 
  • Susan Tuttle's Latin Sensation (2 26 minute sessions): Exercise to spicy Latin rhythms, going through a variety of Latin dance routines such as Salsa, Meringue, Cumbia, Cha Cha and Reggaeton.  Fun, fun, fun!  It doesn't even seem like you're exercising!
  • Stephanie Vitorino's Ultimate Body Shaper (48 minutes) Full body workout.  This workout is a little harder than some of the others, and has good cardio.  I like it!
In general, I really like all of the instructors.  I've attended many different fitness classes from many different instructors over the last 25 or so years, so I've got some experience behind me.  The set comes with a workout calendar preprinted with a schedule for 60 days.  I found I like to set my own schedule, though, depending on the time I have any particular day.  The set also includes some information on nutrition and a one-month subscription to ediets which I did not bother to look into.  Maybe I should....

I think the best thing about the set is the diversity.  The variety of workout routines really gives you a chance to pick and choose what you feel like doing on any given day.  Let's face it:  some days a 78 minute full cardio workout sounds great, and other days you just want to squeeze in a little salsa.  Also, you don't get bored doing the same workout over and over.

The cost for this set is about $90 (3 payments of $29.95 each).  That's about $9 per dvd, which isn't bad.  When you compare it to a gym membership, it's much cheaper.  Of course, a gym would give you many workout options, too, with equipment you're not likely to have at home. 

I recommend the set if you want to exercise at home and like a variety of options to choose from.  It also helps, I think, to have a background of attending classes with a live instructor so you know what good form feels like.  You don't need a lot of space, but you will need some light to medium handweights for several of the workouts, as well as a yoga mat.  I've done the yoga workouts on carpeting without a yoga mat, and it was okay, but the yoga mat worked better.

Now excuse me while I grab some shuteye so I can get up and workout in the morning!

3 comments:

  1. This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.

    Six Pack Shortcuts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your post while doing some research into the Top Trainers DVD set. Nice review! I was thinking of purchasing this but was wondering, does it come with a rotation calendar or do you just pick & choose which workouts you want to do? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, it comes with a calendar for 60 days, preprinted, that rotates through the various workouts. I prefer to pick & choose, though, based on the time I have available any given day.

    ReplyDelete