Saturday, December 27, 2008

Disney World by Dream Weaver

Yes, it's been a while since I've posted. I think the holidays
keep us busy. We kicked off the season with a Thanksgiving
trip to Disney with the kids. The first time we went, my girls
were 6 and 3, and we spent the entire 2 day trip at Magic
Kingdom
waiting in line to meet princesses or chasing after them in the park.

On our second trip, my 3 year old son, who
was going to Disney for the first time, was most looking forward to
meeting Mickey Mouse. After a few hours in the Magic Kingdom,
he couldn't wait any longer
and wanted to go to his house and meet him in his tent. The
whole family walked over together, and we passed one of the
tents where some princesses and fairies were. I turned to my
daughters and asked if they wanted to see the princesses.
They looked at me like I was crazy. "We want to go on the
rollercoasters!", they cried. Space Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad,
the Haunted House, etc. I was shocked that even my 6 year old was beyond the
princess obsession. And I was instantly so very grateful that we had
made that decision 3 years ago to spend a couple days at the
Magic Kingdom. I will never forget my two girls in their dresses
chasing after princesses and other characters to get an autograph and take a picture.

At the time, I didn't realize that the princess obsession is so short lived.
I also didn't realize how quickly time passes. The shock of my daughters'
response on this trip was a harsh but good reminder to enjoy these exciting moments
because they only happen once.

Happy holidays!

1 comment:

  1. We had the same princess experience on our trip to Disney in November. My girls (7 and 5 years old) were no longer interested in them! We had dinner reservations at Cinderella's castle, and they decided they'd rather have $25 each to spend. Well, that was a big savings!!! Our trip 3 years earlier was also spent chasing princesses here and there, like dream_weaver. Their eyes were lit up like Christmas trees as we had dinner with Cinderella, Prince Charming, Fairy Godmother and a few mice. They both wore their princess attire and were uber excited. This year we had breakfast with 4 princesses, and my girls refused to dress up. The 5-year old was pleased to take pictures with each princess, but the 7-year old wouldn't even do that!! If you can, get your kids to Disney around age 4 or 5.

    ReplyDelete