Sunday, December 4, 2011

SciTech Hands On Museum

My husband took our girls to the SciTech Hands On Museum for the first time two years ago.  I'll admit (sheepishly) that at the time I was sort of relieved I couldn't go with them, because science really isn't my thing.  And the drive to Aurora from Park Ridge is not a short one, so I was happy to let them have a daddy-daughter day.  Well, they all came back raving about it, and my DH was so impressed he wrote a review on it.  The first and only review he's ever written on kidwinks.  We've been to a lot of places with our kids, and it speaks volumes to me that this is the only place he's ever taken the time to review.

I got my chance to see it the following year, when I chaperoned my daughter's 3rd grade class field trip to the museum.  I was interested to see if the third graders might think the museum was boring or too young for them.  NO WAY!  The kids LOVED it!  I was really struck by how engaged the kids were with the exhibits, and how friendly and knowledgable the staff was.  They did a great job interacting with the kids to periodically teach them the science behind the cool things the kids were "playing" with.  When it came time to leave, the class was genuinely disappointed, and had a hard time leaving the exhibit area.  There were many calls of "Wait!  Just let me try this one more time!"

I've taken a personal interest in this museum since our visits, and have been impressed with the cool special events and programs they offer:  Drop and Shop Days, SlumberTech Family Overnight, Family Friendly New Year's Eve Party and Winter Break Camps to name just a few.  When I learned they were opening a preschool and cafe, I jumped at the chance to tour them.

SciTech Discovery Preschool offers STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) programming.  WOW!  For a preschool!  The physical space is within the museum but with a separate, touch screen entrance, so it's very secure.  The preschool is bright and cheery and made me wish I lived nearby and had younger kids so they could attend.

 


I chatted with the Executive Director of the museum a bit, and learned that they will be offering a theater camp for the first time, and have a small theater group on staff.  No wonder I was so impressed with how animated and engaging they were!  It's in their blood! 


The cafe is a great addition, and offers cold and hot drinks along with a few snack options.  I had the gingerbread coffee -- YUM!  Parents can take a break here and sit at the tables while the kids (the older ones, anyway) explore the exhibits. 





All in all, this is one of my favorite places in the Chicago area to take kids, and I highly recommend you check it out.  It's an especially great place for kids who still want and need hands-on interaction but have outgrown other Chicago area children's museums.  SciTech is more sophisticated for older kids, and also offers a separate area for the younger ones. 

Oh, and bring quarters for the parking meters. One quarter gives you one hour.

If you're looking for kids activities in Chicago and the suburbs, check out the kidwinks Events Calendar or check out one of the online Guides - you'll find them all on the kidwinks homepage, including:

No comments:

Post a Comment