Friday, October 7, 2011

Screams in the Park in Rosemont - A Chicago area Haunted House

Up until this time I have never gone into a haunted house.  Okay, I have gone into the fun houses at carnivals and fairs but nothing that was supposed to be super scary.  Before kids I was a big fan of horror movies and slasher movies.  Name an older one and I have probably seen it.  Even though I enjoy being scared I was never brave enough to venture into a haunted house.  Then I realized that it is sort of my duty to check out new exhibits and venues in the Chicago area.  Even though Screams in the Park is not geared toward the little ones there are plenty of families with older kids and plenty of moms and dads who enjoy a good fright.  So, I felt a lot of responsibility and didn't want to let anyone down.  Days before going I would lay awake in bed and fret over what my experience was going to be like.  The day of I though off all kinds of ways to back out.  I must say though, what made me so interested was the theme of this haunted house, H.H. Holmes.  He was a mass murderer who was doing his hunting during the Columbian Exposition here in Chicago over a century ago.  I read and loved the Devil in the White City and that is where I first learned about H.H. Holmes.  I guess I should stop right here and say THIS IS NOT FOR YOUNG CHILDREN.  The recommended age is 13 an over.  Waiting in line with my husband I was nervous but knew there was no turning back.  Once we were admitted in I loved it!  The rooms of H.H. Holmes boarding house were well thought out and creepy.  I don't want to give too much away but... there were costumed "creatures" lurking around every corner keeping me on my toes.  It was not over the top scary (no one chasing me with a real chainsaw... one of my big worries) but it was definitely scary enough, well done, and very entertaining. I think I might be hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment